10 of the most common summer garden plants that are poisonous to dogs


Many of us are currently going to be giving our gardens a summer makeover – but many of the plants that grow at this time of year could be harmful to our dogs.

Many summer plants can make our outdoor spaces beautiful with their bright blooms, but there are many that are toxic to dogs and can cause unpleasant or even fatal side effects if eaten.

In fact, some of the most common additions to our gardens and wilderness areas are toxic to dogs – and it’s worth knowing which ones to make sure they don’t nibble. Here are 10 of the most common plants found throughout the summer that homeowners should watch out for.

READ MORE: Deaf and partially blind pup hopes for happy forever home in County Durham


Geraniums are one of the most popular additions to the garden this time of year with their beautiful colors, but they can cause your furry friend some discomfort. The fragrant species of pelargonium that belongs to the larger geranium family contains oils that can irritate a dog’s skin, while ingesting the plant can lead to vomiting and reduced appetite.

Hydrangeas can cause unpleasant symptoms in dogs if they eat the plant


Another of the most common sights in gardens during the warmer months, the hydrangea can beautify our outdoor space, but it’s no friend to your pet. Eating any part of the colorful shrub, including the leaves, flowers, buds, or bark, can cause illness and diarrhea in dogs, and even lethargy and confusion in cases. more serious.


With their eye-catching blooms, it’s no wonder many of us introduce azaleas to our gardens during the summer, but this plant contains powerful toxins that can quickly affect your dog’s heart and even cause him to fall into a cold. the coma. Symptoms of azalea poisoning include vomiting and diarrhea, drooling, shallow breathing, weakness and irregular heartbeat – any owner who suspects their dog may have ingested this plant should take it to the vet immediately.

Foxgloves are common in wild areas, but they can be very harmful to pets
Foxgloves are common in wild areas, but they can be very harmful to pets


Foxgloves may be beautiful, but they’re full of natural poisons that are toxic to dogs, cats, and even humans. Eating foxglove can cause serious stomach problems in a dog, including vomiting and diarrhea, and can also affect the nervous system, leading to tremors and possibly seizures.

Lily of the valley

Thrush is a common sight in wild areas of the UK that owners should watch out for when walking their dog. Eating this delicate and seemingly harmless plant can actually cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, or in more severe cases, heart problems such as irregular or slow heartbeat.

Ragwort can sprout anywhere in the summer, but owners should make sure their dog doesn't eat it
Ragwort can sprout anywhere in the summer, but owners should make sure their dog doesn’t eat it


Ragwort is known for its ability to grow anywhere, and you’ll likely see its signature clusters of yellow flowers when outdoors this summer. Eating any part of the ragwort plant can cause your dog liver and kidney failure in the worst cases, while milder symptoms can include stomach upset.


The larkspur can be recognized by its vertical cluster of colorful flowers, most often in shades of purple or blue. But again, looks can be deceiving – this pretty plant can cause digestive issues such as bloating and constipation in dogs, but can also potentially lead to muscle issues such as tremors, stiffness or even stiffness. paralysis in the most severe cases.

Oleander is gorgeous, but can be deadly for your four-legged friend
Oleander is gorgeous, but can be deadly for your four-legged friend


Oleander shrubs bring lots of color to the garden this time of year with their bright pink flowers, but every part of this plant is harmful to your dog. Besides the common symptom of gastrointestinal issues, oleander can also affect your dog’s brain and heart as it can cause lethargy, depression, tremors and abnormal heart rate.


It’s not just about making our gardens look pretty during the summer – many of us also hope to grow tasty additions to our kitchen cupboard, with rhubarb being one of the most popular choices. But avoid sharing your rhubarb with your pooch or letting it nibble while it grows – the leaves can cause mouth irritation and stomach issues, while the stems are also mildly poisonous.


While dogs may enjoy the occasional slice of red tomato as a juicy snack, owners should be careful with other plant parts if growing their own tomatoes at home. Unripe tomatoes, along with other parts of the plant such as the leaves and stem, are poisonous if eaten by dogs and can cause weakness, tremors, and seizures in severe cases.

If you think your dog may have eaten one of these plants or is showing any of the symptoms mentioned above, the best thing to do is contact your veterinarian immediately for advice. Visit the PDSA website for a complete list of plants that are poisonous to dogs all year round.



About Author

Comments are closed.