Navigator CO2 Ventures announced Monday that the Iowa Fertilizer Co. will participate in its pipeline and carbon storage project, which is expected to cost at least $ 2 billion.
Texas-based Navigator said the fertilizer maker, located in Wever between Burlington and Fort Madison in southeast Iowa, will use the pipeline to transport up to 1.13 million metric tonnes of dioxide. of carbon per year. Navigator plans to liquefy the greenhouse gas so that it can be transported through the pipeline to a sequestration site in Illinois for permanent underground storage.
In total, Navigator, which calls its project Heartland Greenway, proposes to build a 1,300-mile pipeline that would reach Minnesota, Nebraska and South Dakota as well as Iowa and Illinois.
It plans to capture carbon from around 20 ethanol and fertilizer plants.
Navigator wants to build approximately 900 miles of pipeline in 36 Iowa counties. The company is in the process of obtaining a permit from the Iowa Utilities Board to construct the hazardous liquids pipeline.
From this week, Navigator will hold a public information meeting in each of the counties where the pipeline would be built.
It is one of two pipeline and carbon storage projects that have been proposed in Iowa.
Summit Carbon Solutions, a company owned by Bruce Rastetter’s Summit Agricultural Group in Alden, is targeting the same industries and would use similar technology, with an injection site deep in North Dakota. He concluded a series of meetings in mid-October, outlining his plans to build a $ 4.5 billion pipeline.
In total, the Summit pipeline would stretch for 2,000 miles, of which about 710 miles are in Iowa.
Navigator proposes to capture and store approximately 15 million metric tonnes of carbon dioxide per year once the project is fully developed. The Iowa Fertilizer Co.’s carbon capture and sequestration would be equivalent to taking about 245,000 vehicles off the road each year, the companies said.
OCI NV, a company originally based in Egypt and relocated to the Netherlands, owns Iowa Fertilizer Co., which opened in 2017.
“We are delighted to partner with Navigator on this project, which enables an efficient and rapid solution to reduce our carbon footprint and deliver low carbon products to our customers throughout the value chain from our location in London. ‘Globally in Iowa,’ Ahmed El -Hoshy, CEO of OCI NV, said in a statement.
BlackRock, a New York-based investment firm, is providing financial backing for the project, and Valero Energy, a major Texas oil company with a dozen Midwestern ethanol plants, including five in Iowa, is anchoring a stake. commercial.
Pipeline meetings begin
Navigator CO2 Ventures is holding a series of public briefings, one in each Iowa county that its pipeline project would reach. Here are the dates and locations of the meetings that will be held at noon:
- Benton County. January 3, Norway Community Center, 210 South St., Norway.
- Cherokee County. November 30, Aurelia Community Center, 235 Main Street, Aurelia.
- County of Clay. December 13, Clay County Regional Events Center, 800 W. 18th St., Spencer.
- Clinton County. December 7, Wild Rose Convention Center & Ballroom, 777 Wild Rose Drive, Clinton.
- Delaware County. December 6, The Gathering Place, 1711 N. Second St., Manchester.
- Des Moines County. December 8, LOFT Events, 416 Jefferson St., Burlington.
- Dickinson County. December 2, Dickinson County Community Center, 1602 15th St., Spirit Lake.
- Floyd County. December 17, Floyd County Fairgrounds (Youth Enrichment Center), 2516 Seven Mile Road, Charles City.
- Franklin County. December 16, Franklin County Convention Center, 1008 Central Ave. W., Hampton.
- Hamilton County: December 15, Briggs Woods Conference Center (Van Diest Supply Co. meeting room), 2501 Briggs Woods Trail, Webster City.
- Keokuk County. January 4, Sigourney Public Library, 720 E. Jackson St., Sigourney.
- County of Kossuth. December 3, Eagle Center (banquet hall), 401 Smith St., Lakota.
- County of Lyon. November 29, Forster Community Center, 404 First Ave., Rock Rapids.
- Mahaska County. January 5, George Daily Community Auditorium, 1800 N. Third St. No. 2, Oskaloosa.
- O’Brien County. December 1, Crossroads Pavilion Event Center (Grand Hall), 301 34th Ave., Sheldon.
- Pocahontas County. December 14, Rolfe Community Center, 319 Garfield St., Rolfe.
- Polk County. January 7, Iowa State Fairgrounds (Oman Family Youth Inn), 3000 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines.
- County of history. January 6, Gateway Hotel & Conference Center (Prairie Ballroom), 2100 Green Hills Drive, Ames.
- Van Buren County. December 9, Opéra Bonaparte, 614 First St., Bonaparte.
- County of Wapello. December 10, Bridge View Center (conference rooms), 102 Church St., Ottumwa.
Here are the dates and places of the meetings which will be held at 6 p.m.
- Boone County: January 6, Des Moines Area Community College Boone Campus (auditorium), 1125 Hancock Drive, Boone.
- Buena Vista County: December 13, Alta Community Center, 28 N. Lake St., Alta.
- Butler County: December 16, Greene Community Center, 204 W. South St., Greene.
- Cedar County: December 7, Cedar County Fairgrounds (Matthews Building), 220th Street, Tipton.
- Emmet County: December 2, VFW Hall, 314 S. First St., Estherville.
- Hardin County: December 15, Ellsworth Community College (auditorium), 1100 College Ave., Iowa Falls.
- Iowa County: January 3, Price Creek Event Center, 4709 220th Trail, Amana.
- Jasper County: January 5, DMACC Newton Campus (conference center auditorium), 600 N. Second Ave. W., Newton.
- Jefferson County: December 9, The Walton Club, 2265 Walton Lake Road, Fairfield.
- Lee County: December 8, Small Grand Things, 1903 West Point Road, West Point.
- Linn County: December 6, Veterans’ Memorial (Coliseum), 50 Second Ave. Bridge, Cedar Rapids.
- Osceola County: December 1, 9th Street Center, 418 Ninth St., Sibley.
- Plymouth County: November 29, Le Mars Convention Center (lower level), 275 12th St. SE, Le Mars.
- Poweshiek County: January 4, Grinnell College (Joe Rosenfield Center), 1115 8th Ave., Grinnell.
- Webster County: December 14, Best Western Starlite Village, 1518 Third Ave. NW, Fort Dodge.
- Woodbury County: November 30, Sioux City Convention Center (Rooms A & B), 801 Fourth St., Sioux City,
A virtual meeting will take place at 5:30 p.m. on January 19, streamed from the Iowa Utilities Board courtroom and available on the agency’s website: iub.iowa.gov.
Donnelle Eller covers agriculture, environment and energy for the Registry. Contact her at email@example.com or 515-284-8457.